Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Why i want a moustache

During my angst ridden teenage years I dressed one part bag lady, one part a goth...these delightful clothes came from Camberwell market. For you Cambie market regulars, this was back in the days of the Christian Rock Elvis impersonater & the magnificent tattooed Lady; with fierce red hair and tattoos all over her face. Mostly i loved  her 'ringkeepers moustache' tattoo and  attitude.  I longed for my own moustache. One day when i was 18, a friend wrestled me to the ground, drew one on me in eyeliner, then dragging me to pub in Foot- is- gray. What a night, hey Jane?

Years after rumaging through piles of discount clothing next to her, I discovered that this women was Vali Myers.  I had the fortune of spending a day with her in her studio during the winter of 2001.  She showed me and my boyfriend drawings, made us tea, spoke about her life back in Paris and kept telling my boyfriend how 'very, very attractive' he was.  We were invited to spend the evening drinking Vodka with her, which for some reason we never did.... what a shame.

How rare someone like Vali Myers is.  If you don't know her work, you should be ashamed, or you could just have a peek here: http://www.valimyers.com/drawings/death_in_port_jackson.html

So what was the point of this again....ah yes.  Should i get this tattoo: http://www.flickr.com/photos/gregtilden/3350541520/

No comments:

Post a Comment